Tuesday, November 11, 2008

5 Friends

This is a video I was shown a few weeks before the election:



Granted it’s another election advertisement. Granted I mute campaign commercials and skip over campaign ads. Granted it’s a group of young A-list celebrities endorsing the message. (And really, celebrities?)

But I like this video for a couple reasons:

1 . It’s nonpartisan!

2 . It’s true! Can anyone validly argue that one vote doesn’t count?

3 . It’s well done.

And finally…

4 . It’s marketed toward the age group least likely to vote. And with this generation hooked into the Internet, what better medium than YouTube?

Media entertains, sells, and informs. The video’s ensemble of A-list celebrities entertains. It informs potential voters of the need to register, polling places, and the importance of voting in a way that sells ‘cool’ to this generation which breathes celebrities and technology. YouTube is a perfect venue to reach the youth who are plugged into the internet for hours a day.

3 comments:

A. Nguyen said...

I checked out 5 friends and rewatched 5 more friends like we talked about the other day. I agree with you, this was a really good advertisement for voting because they are necessarily promoting a specific party.

Hannah said...

I like this video a lot, I have never seen it before and it is a great idea to help our generation vote more.

arabian_nights said...

Honestly, this video is superb. I almost posted it on my blog until I saw it on yours! Who knows if it really made that many young voters get out there and have a say, but it any case it a great example of media and celebrity endorsement at its best. At least it was advocating for voting and not a total gym fitness system or a smudge proof make up. Celebrities using their powers for good.